Re: R³

On Wed, 05 Feb 2020 20:58:03 +0100, intrigeri wrote:

> gregor herrmann (2020-02-04):
> The way I see it, before we make something the default, it's good to
> start experimenting with it in a narrower scope, in order to identify
> issues and build confidence that it could be a sane default.
> That's why I've started setting "R³: no" almost every time I touch
> a package some time ago, hence introducing some — hopefully
> temporary — inconsistency.

Agreed, thanks to you and others for experimenting with it.

> As far as Debian packaging is concerned, I do like consistency too,
> so thank you for restarting this conversation :)

:)

> > Besides the question of a potential mass change in git: Are there
> > opinions for or against R³:no as a default policy, as a default in
> > dh-make-perl (somewhere else?)?
> So far, in my limited experience, I've not noticed any breakage caused
> by "R³: no" in any package I've touched. This makes me feel confident
> we can now enable it by default in dh-make-perl (including "refresh").

Ok, I guess I can try to look into that if noone beats me to it.

> I would not dare advocating for a mass commit right now, because most
> likely I won't help much dealing with its fallout. Perhaps the mass
> commit could be another step, to deal with the (probably huge) long
> tail of packages that haven't "R³: no" yet, a few months after we
> started systematically enabling it while updating+uploading packages,
> and built more confidence into it and into our ability to identify
> problematic cases?

Sounds reasonable, and timeframe-wise this might be something to look
at during DebCamp/DebConf in August.

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
   `-   NP: Joan Baez: Love is just a four letter word