Re: R³

On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 08:52:27 +0530, Utkarsh Gupta wrote:

> On 30/01/20 8:48 pm, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > In practice it seems that some people have started to add
> > "Rules-Requires-Root: no" to some packages. And lintian mentions it.
> >
> > As I like consistency :) I'd like to bring this up again: Do we want
> > it for all packages? If yes a change in dh-make-perl and probably a
> > mass commit [0] would be necessary steps. And/or cme?
>
> Ideally, we shouldn't go for a mass commit because we don't know if
> everything would be working fine with it, or do we?

That's why I wrote "probably" and added the footnote to ask (probably
not clear enough) if it's possible to detect when it's safe to add
R³:no, or the other way round: when root privileges are actually
needed.

Besides the question of a potential mass change in git: Are there
opinions for or against R³:no as a default policy, as a default in
dh-make-perl (somewhere else?)?

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
   `-   NP: Ben Weaver: Ocean ain't blue