Re: Can packaging be based on upstream git tags without CPAN tarballs?

On Tue, 04 Feb 2020 13:59:59 -0700, Sean Whitton wrote:

> > Out of curiosity: Why? Which big advantages do you see with this
> > workflow?
> After tagging a new upstream release, and uploading to CPAN, I can stay
> on the same git branch to do the Debian upload, i.e.,
>
>     % dzil release
>     % dch -v1.2.3-1 New upstream release.
>     % git commit debian/changelog -mchangelog
>     % git deborig
>     % dgit sbuild --run-autopkgtest --run-piuparts
>     % dgit push-source
>     % git push --follow-tags salsa master:master

I see, thanks.
I have to admit that this workflow has some elegance :)

(And it needs some strictness to mentally separate upstream and
debian work while still being in the same terminal/directory/branch.
Luckily you're well prepared for that with your professional
background :))

> > I don't see any real blockers, just some small disadvantages: Both
> > our tools and the finger memories of many of us are focused on CPAN
> > tarballs, so you might miss out on some minor features in tooling and
> > cause minor confusion among potential other contributors amoung the
> > team.
> Okay -- if the confusion really did start to get in people's way, I
> could switch over to CPAN tarballs.
> Thanks -- will go ahead with using my workflow.

Right, let's see how it goes for you [0] and others [1].

[0] E.g. when autopkgtests don't find a META.yml which is typically
not in git but in the release tarball and you have to manually add a
debian/tests/pkg-perl/use-name

[1] There's no pristine-tar branch in your model, right? So if
someone else wants to build the package, they have to download or
re-create it somehow, I guess.

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe