Can packaging be based on upstream git tags without CPAN tarballs?

Hello perl team,

I'm currently working on converting some local Perl code into a module
for public release.  I intend to upload it to CPAN, mainly for
discoverability, but obviously what I really care about it is uploading
it to Debian :)

I would like to base my packaging on my upstream git tags, and not
import CPAN tarballs.  I.e. for an upstream release, I would upload to
CPAN, but the orig.tar would be a `git archive` of my signed git tag,
not the CPAN dist tarball.  And d/watch would point to my git repo, not
to CPAN.

Is it okay with you all for me to effectively pretend the package does
not exist on CPAN for the purposes of pkg-perl?

--
Sean Whitton