Re: Can packaging be based on upstream git tags without CPAN tarballs?

Hello gregor,

On Tue 04 Feb 2020 at 06:58PM +01, gregor herrmann wrote:

>> I would like to base my packaging on my upstream git tags, and not
>> import CPAN tarballs.  I.e. for an upstream release, I would upload to
>> CPAN, but the orig.tar would be a `git archive` of my signed git tag,
>> not the CPAN dist tarball.  And d/watch would point to my git repo, not
>> to CPAN.
>
> Out of curiosity: Why? Which big advantages do you see with this
> workflow?

After tagging a new upstream release, and uploading to CPAN, I can stay
on the same git branch to do the Debian upload, i.e.,

    % dzil release
    % dch -v1.2.3-1 New upstream release.
    % git commit debian/changelog -mchangelog
    % git deborig
    % dgit sbuild --run-autopkgtest --run-piuparts
    % dgit push-source
    % git push --follow-tags salsa master:master

If I use CPAN tarballs, then I have to switch over to a different branch
which is based on CPAN tarballs, import the CPAN tarball, and prepare
the upload from there.

For some reason I find this really annoying; where I'm upstream and also
(primary) Debian package maintainer, I really like to stay on just one
branch, and use `git deborig` to handle tarballs.

>> Is it okay with you all for me to effectively pretend the package does
>> not exist on CPAN for the purposes of pkg-perl?
>
> I don't see any real blockers, just some small disadvantages: Both
> our tools and the finger memories of many of us are focused on CPAN
> tarballs, so you might miss out on some minor features in tooling and
> cause minor confusion among potential other contributors amoung the
> team.

Okay -- if the confusion really did start to get in people's way, I
could switch over to CPAN tarballs.

Thanks -- will go ahead with using my workflow.

--
Sean Whitton