Re: Packaging my first Debian module

On Sat, 2015-06-06 at 21:56 +0200, Alex Muntada wrote:
> Did you read the welcome wiki page:
> https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianPerlGroup/Welcome
>
> Maybe it's not very prominent but it points you to the right path I think.

I did, and you're right, it is in there, I just didn't appreciate that
the git page is where I needed to start (I was thinking "I don't need
git instructions, I just want to know how to package a new module").
I've made a couple of minor changes to the wiki to make it a little more
obvious.

Incidentally, there are 2 "links" sections in the wiki. I was going to
merge them, but wasn't sure if that was on purpose?

> > I did find the git page, but didn't realise that is the main page if you
> > simply want to start packaging a new module (I think?). I assumed that
> > it was a more general guide around using git with packaging.
> >

> Since all the team's packages are now in git repos, the git page is very
> important but I guess the name is misleading.

If that's the case, then I think you should drop all references to "git"
and just call it the "how to package perl modules" page. That would make
it much clearer.

> > Another useful addition would be some sort of quick and dirty "5 steps
> > to package a new module", along with links to more detailed reading. I
> > found this, but think it might be out of date?
> >

> > http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/docs/pkg-perl-for-users/pkg-perl-for-users.pdf
> >

> I don't think it's very outdated, maybe there are some shortcuts to some
> steps but AFAICT it's good enough, but I'm not very experienced in
> packaging either so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Okay, great, I only ended up with that as I was struggling to find
anything else.

> On the other hand, I agree with you that a quick short guide with links to
> further details would be helpful. Do you think that we could improve the
> Welcome page to achieve that or we should make a new one which would be the

I guess it really depends if everything (or almost everything) is now
covered in the git page? If so, rename the git page, and then add a
section to it with a "quick start" guide. Then make the git guide more
prevalent on the wiki.

OTOH, if there are more docs that people should read when starting
packaging, then a separate section on the wiki would be good.

I'd be happy doing any of the above changes if it helps.

Thanks,

Andy