"remote origin already exists" when running dpt alioth-repo

As per the git guide ("pushing to git.debian.org"), I'm running "dpt
alioth-repo" to push my new DPKG::Parse sources to git.debian.org

However, the following happens:

# dpt alioth-repo
Enter passphrase for key '/root/.ssh/id_rsa':
Initialized empty shared Git repository
in /srv/git.debian.org/git/pkg-perl/packages/libdpkg-parse-perl.git/
HEAD is now at 8aa113d add mrconfig for libdpkg-parse-perl
[master 5d4bd99] add mrconfig for libdpkg-parse-perl
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+)
To /git/pkg-perl/meta.git
   8aa113d..5d4bd99  master -> master
fatal: remote origin already exists.

Note the last error. Whilst I understand the error message, I'm not sure
why it appears to be trying to create a new remote when this is the
first time I am pushing the package.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Andy