Re: Challenges around Perl 5.20

Quoting Dominique Dumont (2014-06-02 15:59:48)
> On Sunday 01 June 2014 19:10:48 gregor herrmann wrote:
>>> By resolving that paranthesis into two separate statements:
>>>

>>> libmodules-build-perl >= x | perl >= y
>>> libmodules-build-perl >= x | perl << 5.20
>>
>> Ah, right, thanks for refreshing my memory
>>
>> This still leaves the questions if
>> - cme can create something like this, and

Right, I don't know if cme is limited to atomic statements.

> yes. That does not mean it's a good idea

Uhm, what are you saying?  Do you imply that it means the opposite?

Seems to me that until verified what cme can handle, the question on cme
support simply remains open.  I do believe that above is a valid answer
to the underlying question on how to possibly express such dependency at
all.

>> - if we would want it instead of an unconditional
>>   libmodules-build-perl >= x
>
> It is much simpler to handle for us and dpkg resolver. Jonas' trick
> will probably trigger questions from perl packagers (present and
> futures)

Could you elaborate on which kinds of questions if would trigger to
express the complex dependency as I propose?

Even if not possible for cme to automate what I propose, some (including
me) might still express it by hand (e.g. to ease backporting), and it
would be quite relevant to understand what might backfire in that
approach.

> The only drawback I see: some systems may needlessly install modules
> when installing backported perl packages.
>
> Is that a big deal ?

Becomes bigger if the module needlessly pulled in also need backporting.
If then the needlessly pulled in and backporting-requiring package has
sloppy dependencies on e.g. a newer than really needed debhelper or
Moose, it becomes even bigger...

Generally, support at all for backporting is arguably never a big deal.
Or always.  Question is subjective...

 - Jonas