Re: libtime-modules-perl

On 28/05/14 02:50, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 2:26 AM, Daniel Lintott wrote:
>
>> After a bit of investigation it appears the last release of Time-Modules
>> was 2013.0912, but that is where it get's interesting... whilst trying
>> to find the package on metacpan I've discovered that the package has
>> been renamed to Time-ParseDate [0] starting with release 2013.0916
>
> How did you discover the rename? If possible it might be interesting
> to automate that in DUCK.
>
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/duck
> http://duck.debian.net/

I'm not sure it's something that could be automated... as it was down
down to a bit of detective work!

But here's how I found it:
Whilst checking the watch error (highlighted by PET) I noticed it was
still using search.cpan.org, whereas most packages packages use
metacpan.org.

So I went to metacpan.org and begun searching for the package with it's
old name... which wasn't found.

To double check I then decided to instead search for one of the known
modules from Time-Modules (e.g Time::ParseDate), which I found.

After investigating the changelog I confirmed it was the same module and
had been renamed:

> 2013.0916 2013-09-16
>         - Module NAME changed to Time::ParseDate.  Change requested by
>           David Steinbrunner.

So ultimately it was pure detective work... which I think it might be
difficult to implement as an automated system

--
Daniel Lintott
GPG Key: 4096R/5D73EC6E