Re: To bundle or not to bundle (libcatalyst-modules(-extra)-perl)

On Mon, 12 May 2014 13:06:45 +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:

> I'd like to survey the opinion of the team about CPAN modules packaged
> as bundles.

Yay, one of our recurring favourite discussion items :)

> First I tried to make their maintenance easier, with main goal making
> the upgrades more accountable by having modules' sources tracked
> expanded in the packaging Git. This worked fine with
> libcatalyst-modules-perl. You may want to compare that to
> libcatalyst-modules-extra-perl, which still uses tarballs instead of
> expanded sources.

The looks indeed very nice, compared to the old status. Thanks!

> All in all, after working on libcatalyst-modules-perl, I wish it was
> not a bundle. Improving the bundle management makes things easier, but
> still not as much as the ordinary non-bundled packages.

Ack.

> So, what do others think about bundles?

I still think the same: They are a PITA.

> So what do others think? To bundle or to split?

Not digging out all previous discussions but: the current (?) status
seems to be:

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianPerlGroup/OpenTasks
"bundle packages: just do it, and see what happens (notes:
pkg-components, ftp-master clarification)"

where 'just do it' it means: split them up, and 'ftp-master
clarification' is a link to https://bugs.debian.org/606411

   `-   NP: R.E.M.: Nightswimming