Re: Text-Markdown-Discount

On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 05:58:45PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> > AFAICT that module is abandoned and uses a quite outdated version of
> > discount (it uses v1.3.4 vs. upstream v2.1.2). The maintainer of the module
> > has also been contacted, but didn't responded [0]. IMHO it isn't a much
> > valid candidate for Debian as it is now.
> >
> > I'd be ok helping with (or completely taking over) its development (/me
> > being maintainer of discount in Debian) if the current developer responded,
> > or developing an alternative if that turns out to be not possible as it
> > looks like right now (I have already planned to do a Text::Markdown::XS
> > based on discount since the Text::Markdown::Discount development is not
> > mushc active, but I never managed to start coding it).
>
> AFAICS, none of the API it uses has actually changed between 1.3 and 2.1.

Right. Some changes in between 2.0 and 2.1.2 actually broke the
ruby-rdiscount test suite, but I see now that Text::Markdown::Discount only
uses the Markdown 1.0 test suite (as extra tests).

Also, it has had a new release few hours ago, so it's not really abandoned.

> Attached patch makes it build with libmarkdown2-dev rather than the
> bundled library. (I also did a rm -rf discount-1.3.4 just to be sure.)

I've revorked the patch a bit (i.e. use '-lmarkdown' instead of hardcoding
the path to libmarkdown.so) and pushed the libtext-markdown-discount-perl
package to git [0]. It needs an ITP bug and a final check (I'll do them
ASAP).

> It would be a nice extension to the discount perl bindings to expose the
> various extension flags so they could all be turned off. Thankfully
> it already comes with MKD_NOHEADER|MKD_NOPANTS.

Yep.

> > I never used it extensively so I cannot comment further, but apart from the
> > above shortcomings it looks like a valid Markdown implementation (I can't
> > tell if it's faster or more secure than discount though).
>
> Defintely much faster, I also liked that it seems to be coded with constant
> memory use in mind.

Ok, good to know :)

Cheers

[0] http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-perl/packages/libtext-markdown-discount-perl.git