Re: Advice on handling a major upload

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 13:17:47 -0430, Ernesto Hernández-Novich wrote:

> However, there's currently a strong ongoing effort upstream to release
> WebGUI 8.0: it's expected for late august.

> I believe it is a good idea to have two packages, webgui and webgui8.
> WebGUI 7.10 will have maintenance and support at least for six months
> after WebGUI 8 becomes oficially stable.

Some thought on timing:
- The wheezy freeze is planned for June 2012, so probably to early
  for WebGUI 8.
- To get WebGUI 7 into wheezy the long standing bug about the flash
  files needs to be fixed.
- If wheezy freezes in June then maybe we have a release at the end
  of 2012. If wheezy+1 is released 2 years later then wheezy is
  retired 3 years later ... that would be e.g. end of 2015 (or at
  some point in 2016).
- If the upstream support for WebGUI 7 ends in (August + 6 = )
  Februar 2013 that means that someone has to care for the package in
  Debian without upstream help for ~3 years.

> The webgui package has been
> working in Sid for over a year now (I have several production
> installations) and I'm hoping will be available in wheezy. But I'm not
> sure what will be the proper and practical way to handle webgui8.

Hm, I'm not sure either :)

Having to maintain a package in a stable release that's not supported
by upstream might be a burden (or not, if you feel confident enough
to handle whatever might occur); OTOH getting a WebGUI 8 package
ready by June 2012 if the release is 2 months later might also be
difficult (or not, if there are almost-identical release candidates
available earlier).

I guess the decision depends especially on the status of version 8
(now and in May/June); if it's possible to get it into wheezy then
you would have less work (only one package, and upstream support).

Just some thoughts ...

 .''`.   Homepage: http://info.comodo.priv.at/ - OpenPGP key ID: 0x8649AA06
   `-    NP: Sting: The Dream Of The Blue Turtles