Re: OpenSSL bindings for Perl -- licensing questions

On Wed, 2012-27-06 at 10:03 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> Given that the perl modules in question clearly contain "OpenSSL" in
> their names, this appears to only be satisfied under one of the
> following conditions:
>
>  0) a perl module is not a "product"
>  1) these perl modules are not "derived from" OpenSSL

I think this is the best argument.

>  2) the OpenSSL Project has given these modules explicit permission
>  3) this clause is considered unenforceable and/or somehow
> illegitimate

It's unenforcable if the modules in question do not incorporate any
OpenSSL code and are just an interface to the library.  I think this is
probably the case.

There seem to be between 30 and 40 modules on CPAN with OpenSSL in the
name and no-one seems to be bothered.

--
--gh