Re: OpenSSL bindings for Perl -- licensing questions

On Wed, 2012-27-06 at 07:27 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
[snip]
> I don't believe #534338 covered Crypt::OpenSSL::AES.  However, i do
> wonder whether Crypt::OpenSSL::AES has received permission from the
> OpenSSL upstrem for the use of the term "OpenSSL" in its name, as
> referred to at:
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=534338#20

[snip]

It depends what "derived from this software" means.  The only protection
"OpenSSL" has, in itself, would be as a trademark.

Apple has an example here:
http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/appletmlist.html

which seems to indicate that "OpenSSL Project" and "OpenSSL Toolkit" are
protected but not bare "OpenSSL".

It also indicates that the restrictions imposed are only using the
"openssl" name for marketing.  But Apple has a written agreement with
OpenSSL.

--
--gh