Re: Git migration update

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 21:03:15 +0200, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:

> > I personally am very much found of option 2 too. However, while your
> > observations about difficulties with cherry-picking/backporting and
> > reverting are all true, they were also true in the SVN days, so we
> > don't really have a regression here.
> Partially. I mean, you can't revert single commits with SVN like you can
> do with git, hence you don't really notice it even if you commit to the
> changelog for every change. I'm not really into SVN so I can't say what it
> can do or not, but the revert (as in git) functionality is something that I
> missed several times.

"svn merge -c-NNNNNN ." is similar to "git revert NNNNNNN".

> > Also, what could possibly go wrong if using changelog-less commits?
> The only thing I can think of is missing some commits in the changelog.
> git-dch(1) gets all the commits since the last one that modified the
> changelog, so if you do some commits, and than someone commits a change to
> the changelog, do some other changes and runs git-dch, your changes do not
> show up.

Yup, that probably needs some care (and --since=).

I'm also not yet sure which workflow I prefer but I've tried git-dch
yesterday and today after your mail, and I think I can jump through
Yet Another Git Hoop :)

 .''`.   Homepage: http://info.comodo.priv.at/ - PGP/GPG key ID: 0x8649AA06
   `-    NP: Beatles