Re: Git migration update

-=| Alessandro Ghedini, Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 05:32:35PM +0200 |=-
> I do have a couple of notes that I think are worth discussing.

Thank you for the comments!

> * commit policy
>
> > Some prefer to update debian/changelog with each commit, others leave
> > this to the git-dch(1) tool at package release time.
>
> Having worked with git for some time, I find that the first option
> (updating d/changelog at each commit) makes way harder to cherry pick,
> revert, bisect, and backport changes. Given that subversion misses many of
> the features that git has, this was not a problem in the svn days, but now
> I think it would ease the maintainance of the packages if everyone goes for
> option 2 and use git-dch(1) before releasing.

I personally am very much found of option 2 too. However, while your
observations about difficulties with cherry-picking/backporting and
reverting are all true, they were also true in the SVN days, so we
don't really have a regression here.

Using changelog-less commits would improve things for these cases,
although I am not sure how often are these needed.

Also, what could possibly go wrong if using changelog-less commits?

(RFC also included in git.pod)

> For the same reasons I think it should be preferred and made clear in the
> docs the "one change per commit" policy.

This was aways preferred anyway, but stressing it again won't hurt.

(git.pod updated)

> * hooks for mailing list
>
> I don't know if this is on anyone's todo list but it seems that the git
> repositories currently lack all the needed configuration to automatically
> post all the commits, tags and similar to the pkg-perl-commits mailing list.
>
> Having a closer look at one of the repositories it seems that the code is
> there but it has been disabled (or never enabled). Is there any reason to
> not enable it, now that the migration is complete?

I am not sure if these worked at all. Can someone try enabling the
hook for a single repository and pushing to it? If everything works,
there should be a mass-sed change plus update of the setup-repository
script (I can do both).