Re: Copyright License Proposal

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 2:27 AM, Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> wrote:
-=| Ingy dot Net, Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 01:14:52AM +1000 |=-
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
> > I suspect you did not write the code below the inc/ subdir, right?
>
> Funny you should ask. Much of it, yes. I am the original creator of
> Module::Install. But that doesn't matter in principle. It might only matter
> in that I can help change the policy such that using Module::Install does
> not impose any copyright complications on its users. How do I make that so
> for Debian?

Yes, please.

If I had only one wish to make about M:I, it would be that it doesn't
strip all the POD when embedding itself in inc/. Stripping usage
instructions and such is perfectly fine. What we miss in the
inc/arnated M:I is the original statements of authorship/copyright and
license. This change alone would be of great help by reducing
guesswork.

Doable.

If I had a second wish, it would be that M:I does not embed at all in
inc, allowing CPAN distributions to use the system-wide copy. With the
appearance of stable API, I see there is work already that may lead to
that direction. Thanks!

Not completely doable. M:I will always ship plugin code and bootstrap code.

As I explained on irc, but will repeat here for posterity, all M:I set out to do was take all the non core tricks that people used to hand code and copy (without copyright permission) into 200 line Makefile.PLs, and organize them into reusable bits. It happens to put them in a clean inc/ dir, but it could have just as easily inlined them into the Makefile.PL. It's a shame that by reorganizing the packaging code to be more sane you incur these penalties. Anyway, M:I in theory will always push solid memes further upstream, but will also continue to but bleading edge features in inc/.

And more thanks for carying about downstream packagers!

You're welcome. I care about the health of open programming. It extends beyond the concerns of any one group. http://acmeism.org :)