Wheezy!

Some thoughs at the beginning if the wheezy release cycle. I guess
others have ideas at well -- let's discuss them!

"Update sprint"
---------------

At the moment we have a rather large backlog of new upstream
packages; according to PET at the moment 95 "newer upstream release
avaliable" and 20 "new upstream release - work in progress" (and
probably also some in WAITS-FOR etc.

How about doing some "update sprint" and try to get the count down
close to zero until the end of March? Should be doable if everybody
grabs a package and invests a couple of minutes.

Bugs
----
Ok, not really wheezy-specific, but the number of RC and other bugs
is, while still not huge in relation to our number of packages, not
exactly declining. Maybe someone prefers to do some bug triaging on
old bugs or some fighting against tricky bugs?

Forward-bug/forward-patch
-------------------------

I still think that a tool for easily forwarding bug reports and
patches to the CPAN RT would be helpful; in svn/scripts there's
forward-patch -- but it only contains POD that outlays my ideas at
that time.

In the meantime Tim has detected RT::Client::REST, David was in
contact with the upstream author of App::rtpaste, and Maximilian also
has expressed interest in such a tool. -- Maybe someone can invest a
rainy afternoon into such a tool?

Debhelper 8
-----------

Proposal: Let's switch to debhelper 8 / debhelper compat level 8 (in
dh-make-perl and our packages).
Reason: It doesn't buy us a lot by itself, but having to deal with
all the 7.x versions needed for different features and in different
situations gets boring IMO.

(Note: debhelper 8 is also available in lenny/backports and in
squeeze.)

Libs and apps
-------------

This is discussed in a separate thread already, so let's continue
there :)

WAITS-FOR
---------

There are a few packages that have a WAITS-FOR declared in
d/changelog on package that are not packaged and for which there's
also no ITP. After weeding out some stale entries that leaves us with
at least the following:

libcache-memcached-managed-perl (in svn, #591463 closed due to inactivity)
libcolor-object-perl
libdate-calc-xs-perl (in svn, #551495)
libdevel-argnames-perl
libdevel-caller-ignorenamespaces-perl
libgetopt-usaginator-perl
libio-handle-util-perl
libmoosex-types-datetimex-perl
libplack-middleware-deflater-perl
librole-identifiable-perl
libsub-exporter-globexporter-perl
libsub-prototype-perl
libtest-autoloader-perl
libtest-cgi-multipart-perl
libtest-cpan-meta-yaml-perl
libtest-json-meta-perl
libtest-pod-no404s-perl
libtest-www-mechanize-psgi-perl

OTOH some of them are needed only for packages that are not yet
uploaded, so first checking them (i.e. the
"never-uploaded-do-we-really-want-them-cleanup") might be useful
before that.

Alright, these are some quick ideas. I'm looking forward to comments
and to new ideas of others!

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Penelope Swales: More Real than the Original