Re: Wheezy!

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 06:59:35PM +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:
"Update sprint"
---------------

At the moment we have a rather large backlog of new upstream
packages; according to PET at the moment 95 "newer upstream release
avaliable" and 20 "new upstream release - work in progress" (and
probably also some in WAITS-FOR etc.

How about doing some "update sprint" and try to get the count down
close to zero until the end of March? Should be doable if everybody
grabs a package and invests a couple of minutes.

I'll take care of the CDBS-based ones - they also need other cleanup.

Debhelper 8
-----------

Proposal: Let's switch to debhelper 8 / debhelper compat level 8 (in
dh-make-perl and our packages).
Reason: It doesn't buy us a lot by itself, but having to deal with
all the 7.x versions needed for different features and in different
situations gets boring IMO.

(Note: debhelper 8 is also available in lenny/backports and in
squeeze.)

To me, backporting-friendlines is about compiling against an officially released Debian, without including additional repositories like backports.debian.org.

Also, CDBS support for debhelper 7 requires a newer cdbs than available in Lenny (due to a corner-case issue with dh_prep).

I therefore still recommend to generally use highest possible debhelper compatibility level of the oldest security-supported Debian distro - i.e. currently 6 and 7 when security support for Lenny is dropped.

 - Jonas