Re: package-installs-packlist

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 15:32:50 -0500, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:

> > > Sure. I thought that the pbuilder had a base install then it (pdebuild)
> > > grabbed from the mirrors everything in the build-deps, which would have
> > > included a recent version of debhelper.
> > It does, but it needs an updated list of packages first :)
> Sure. I would have expected it to blow up if it was using a stale cache
> list, much like the 404 errors when you haven't run "aptitude update" in
> a while. I digress.

It's indeed a bit surprising ...

> In the META.yml file there is a license entry, the software is under a
> DFSG compliant license:
> license: perl
> But only has the author directive:
> author:
>   - 'Matt Lawrence E<lt>mattlaw@cpan.orgE<gt>'

Yup.

> Are license statements "invalid" if there is no copyright holder?

There are different opinions on that issue.
The ftp-masters are strict, and I also see the point that a license
alone is useless if we don't know who has the right to releases
something under this license.

For some details see Jonathan's writeup at
http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/copyright.html#missing_information

> or is it necessary to get complete copyright info due to the format
> specification? ie.
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/dep/web/deps/dep5.mdwn?op=file&rev=135

No, the new format is orthogonal to the contents of the d/copyright
file.

> Irrespective, I have emailed mattlaw and requested a copyright
> statement.

Thanks!

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Dire Straits: Telegraph Road