Re: Package name convention: Tie::ShadowHash

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 12:56:55 +0100, Jeremiah Foster wrote:

> >> Is that a bug in cpan2deb?

Either that, or in the dist's META.yml (or Makefile.PL).

> > Without looking at the code I would probably say yes. I suspect
> > it does something like take the module name and do something
> > clever to create the package name, but not do something
> > necessarily policy conferment. I'll take a look at the code,
> > since I am kinda familiar with it,
> Correction: I don't know cpan2deb's code at all. I mistakenly
> thought it was part of cpanplus.

I'm sure you know cpan2deb:

$ ls -l `which cpan2deb`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Feb 20 14:41 /usr/bin/cpan2deb -> dh-make-perl

(cpan2deb calls dh-make-perl wit "--cpan $@ --make" or something along
these lines, just a handy shortcut.)

Let's try:
$ dh-make-perl-dev --cpan Tie::ShadowHash
Fetching with LWP:
  ftp://ftp.tuwien.ac.at/pub/CPAN/authors/id/R/RR/RRA/ShadowHash-0.07.tar.gz
ShadowHash-0.07/
ShadowHash-0.07/README

dh-make-perl doesn't find a Tie-ShadowHash dist on CPAN, and I don't
find such a distribution either.

What I do see is a module Tie::ShadowHash in a dist ShadowHash-0.07
-- and that's what dh-make-perl gives us :)

Back to the original question: since the dist is called ShadowHash,
is available at http://search.cpan.org/dist/ShadowHash and downloads
as ShadowHash-0.07.tar.gz I think libshadowhash-perl is fine.
(The discrepancy between the dist name and the single module is of
course not helpful but that's a CPAN question; although the upstream
author is well-known :))

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG Key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Peter Ratzenbeck: Recycling Rag