Re: Perl modules in Debian that do not adhere to Debian's naming policy

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> Le Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:12:00PM +0900, Ansgar Burchardt a écrit :
>> (bioperl: usr/share/perl5/Bio/Align/AlignI.pm and 858 others)
>>   --> libbio-perl
>>   Also has stuff in usr/bin/*, upstream name is "bioperl".
>
> to all bioinformaticians, Bioperl in know as Bioperl and not as
> Bio::Perl. I do not think that renaming the source package to
> libbio-perl would bring a benefit.
>
> Nevertheless, if this is a requirement, I will obey.

It is a requirement for Perl module (binary) packages, the name of the
source package does not matter.  The package for the Bio module should
be name libbio-perl (packages should be named for the primary module
provided).  There is no such requirement for Perl *programs*.

Bioperl includes several programs in /usr/bin and the package
description also says "Perl tools [...]" (not modules).  I am therefore
not sure if it should be named like a module package or not.
(This is also the reason for the parenthesis in the original list.)

Regards,
Ansgar