Re: Email::MIME and merge of ::Modifier and ::Creator

Hi Jonas,

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 12:35:34PM -0500, Jonathan Yu wrote:
>>
>> So for the latter two groups of modules, I'm just suggesting they
>> require the actual package directly (rather than the one Provided by
>> libemail-mime-perl)
>
> Please include fallback for the old package names too, to ease backporting,
> like this:
>
> Depends: libemail-mime-perl (>= 1.863) | libemail-mime-creator-perl
>

> Replace version number with the actual package where things got merged.
> Please note how the Debian part of the version number is deliberately left
> out.  That was also to ease backporting.  If the actual merge (for some odd
> reason) did not happen at an upstream release, then include the Debian part
> but in a backports-friendly way like this: 1.863-5~
>
> When the functionality is provided by the main package even in oldstable,
> the fallback can be dropped.

That's a really good point, I didn't think of that. Yes, that
definitely sounds like something we should do (where we have control);
I'll also suggest it in any wishlist bugs I file asking maintainers to
switch over.

If we go with this scheme, does this mean we can still drop the
Provides: eventually?