Re: Welcome page

David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> >How about:
>
> >    Please note that your work is much more likely to be accepted
> >    quickly if it improves an existing Debian package, and especially if
> >    if it fixes a bug already reported in our BTS.
>
> Or:
>
> The goal of the pkg-perl team is not just to maintain many packages,
> but to maintain them well.  We all understand that sometimes packaging
> new packages is necessary (or just fun!), but please consider spending
> a little effort on updating our existing packages.  Particularly
> [release critical bugs] should be fixed as quickly as possible so that
> all of our packaging efforts can benefit the users of the next stable
> Debian release.
>
> where [release critical bugs] is a link to PET

I think that is less useful on the welcome page for at least two
reasons:

* It's much longer, therefore less likely to be read by visitors to an
  introductory webpage. (I was addressing Gregor's request for “a
  sentence”.)

* It doesn't speak to the needs of the *reader*; i.e. “here is how to
  get what you want (your work in Debian)”.

--
 \       “Instead of having ‘answers’ on a math test, they should just |
  `\               call them ‘impressions’, and if you got a different |