Re: Sys::SigAction

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> wrote:
> -=| Gabor Szabo, Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:08:43PM +0200 |=-
>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:34 AM,  <jeffrey.ratcliffe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Would I be correct in assuming that the following copyright[1] does not
>> > adhere to the DFSG:
>> >
>> > You may distribute under the terms of either the GNU General Public
>> > License or the Artistic License, as specified in the Perl README file,
>> > with the exception that it cannot be placed on a CD-ROM or similar media
>> > for commercial distribution without the prior approval of the author.
>
> I think this fails DFSG#6 (No Discrimination Against Fields of
> Endeavor).
>
>> > [1]http://search.cpan.org/~lbaxter/Sys-SigAction-0.10/lib/Sys/SigAction.pm
>> > [2]http://search.cpan.org/~rybskej/forks/lib/forks.pm
>>
>> I think the work done by the Debian Perl group is awesome in both the terms of
>> integration AND in terms of getting checking the licenses of the modules.
>>
>> I'd recommend sending a polite e-mail to the author asking him if that
>> restriction could be relaxed for Debian specifically
>
> No-no. That would fail DFSG#8 (License Must Not Be Specific to Debian).

Well, I was thinking about having the copy distributed by Debian have that part
removed but then after the responses I realized that it was quite a stupid idea
as that would effectively remove that part for everyone as they could just take
it from Debian.

So back to asking the author nicely to relax that requirement.

BTW I think - though I am not a layer - that part also invalidates GPL.

Gabor