Re: Sys::SigAction

-=| Gabor Szabo, Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:08:43PM +0200 |=-
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:34 AM,  <jeffrey.ratcliffe@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Would I be correct in assuming that the following copyright[1] does not
> > adhere to the DFSG:
> >
> > You may distribute under the terms of either the GNU General Public
> > License or the Artistic License, as specified in the Perl README file,
> > with the exception that it cannot be placed on a CD-ROM or similar media
> > for commercial distribution without the prior approval of the author.

I think this fails DFSG#6 (No Discrimination Against Fields of
Endeavor).

> > [1]http://search.cpan.org/~lbaxter/Sys-SigAction-0.10/lib/Sys/SigAction.pm
> > [2]http://search.cpan.org/~rybskej/forks/lib/forks.pm
>
> I think the work done by the Debian Perl group is awesome in both the terms of
> integration AND in terms of getting checking the licenses of the modules.
>
> I'd recommend sending a polite e-mail to the author asking him if that
> restriction could be relaxed for Debian specifically

No-no. That would fail DFSG#8 (License Must Not Be Specific to Debian).

"Polite" is very important. If you are in doubt, send a draft here
and/or debian-legal for comments.

> or better yet for everyone in general.

This is obviously much better (and what almost all CPAN authors use).