Re: Utility to install a perl module via apt with cpan fallback

On Jan 9, 2009, at 9:50 PM, Damyan Ivanov wrote:

-=| Gabor Szabo, Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 05:04:47PM +0200 |=-
IMHO this should be a plugin to CPAN and CPANPLUS

CPANPLUS attempts to do this with CPANPLUS-Dist-Deb, http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/dist/CPANPLUS-Dist-Deb . Jos (the creator of CPANPLUS) has spoken to me several times about doing more with this module, so I am sure he would welcome patches.

so they can revert to use the .deb package if it is available.

Sounds nice indeed. This is off my area of expectise, however, so I'll
leave the implementation to someone that speaks CPAN natively :)

Our version of cpan2deb seems ready in trunk. Once that is uploaded,
CPAN gurus can plug it in CPAN*.

All this stuff is the kind of thing I was talking about last year! Then everyone was like, "I don't know, do we want CPAN or CPANPLUS to be able to create debs automatically?" Now everyone is like, "w00t! Automated deb creation!" :^)

Jeremiah