Re: Padre, CC-SA-2.5 and Debian

On Dec 12, 2008, at 6:28 AM, Damyan Ivanov wrote:

-=| Paul Wise, Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:20:58AM +0900 |=-
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 5:45 AM, Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> wrote:

And I still think it would be better if the icons are not shipped with
Padre. I have no idea, however, for a way to have cross-platform[1]
access to a set of icons.

How about at build/install time you download the required icons and
install them. For the distributions you can do ./configure
--with-distributor=Debian and then disable the icon downloading and
require the package to depend on the icons that you want?

If you ask me (and I am not one of the upstream authors so I am only
giving an advice here), having the 10 or so icons shipped with Padre
is more reliable as a fallback. Download URLs change.

--with-distribution implies that it would support every distribution
around, plus solaris, MacOS, M$OS, even Plan9. Much better if is
implemented as --with-icons-dir=/path instead.

I think shipping the icons included would be a good idea - it allows for a common look and feel for padre on a variety of platforms which makes life easier for users.

My friend Andreas pointed out that there is a a repository of icons drawn by the same people as the Tango icons but under a GPLv.2 license, svn repo URL: http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gnome-icon-theme/trunk/

Jeremiah