Re: dh-make-perl revamped (not really)

On Thu, 2008-11-12 at 22:11 +0100, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> Personally I don't like this idea. My reasons are;
>
>   1. debian already has infrastructure, for example alioth, even if
> it
> is heavily utilized.
>   2. github is highly unlikely to be compliant with the DFSG
>   3. git is already widely used in debian to maintain packages
> (please
> see the alioth mailing list vcs-pkg-discuss)
>   4. traditionally perl code is shared via CPAN, this is where most
> perl hackers would go to look for perl code,
>       while github is an excellent commercial service, that I use as
> well, it is sort-of a ruby-version-of-cpan-in-the-cloud
>       and as such lacks the appropriate infrastructure in comparison
> to CPAN (i.e. mirroring, ftp sites, cpan, foundation backing, etc.)
>   5. I strongly feel it is inappropriate to host Free Software with
> commercial entity

I expected this response.

 1 - yes, i know
 2 - i believe this is incorrect
 3 - same as 1
 4 - same as 1
 5 - same as 2

I will refrain since there is an objection.

I don't want to start a debate[*] so I will not make any more posts to
the list on this.  However, if you review git-hub's terms and read
GPL-3, I think you will find that the 5th part of your response is
pointless.  That's why I like git and the GPL.

[*] I'm willing to debate anyone off-list indefinitely but I don't want
to annoy everyone else.

--
--gh