Re: Debian Perl Group meeting at DebCamp - 2008-08-06

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:26:59 +0200, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:

> > > debian/copyright
> > > ----------------
> > > * The group is no legal entity and therefore cannot be the copyright
> > >   holder.
> > > * "The superset of the module license and the Perl license" seems
> > >   like a good default licensing for debian/*.
> > > * Create a boilerplate that refers to changelog for the contributors.
> > That needs to be created. Maybe someone who speaks en_LEGAL can
> > propose a nice wording for "Files: debian/*\nCopyright: $foo\n
> > License: $bar"?
> I will take a look, I (unfortunately) have some experience with
> en_LEGAL as it is overused in anglophonic lands. I really like the
> current format however so I will most likely just nibble at the
> edges. IANAL so I presume someone with more legal experience than I
> ought to have the final say, or perhaps filter it through
> debian-legal.

Would be great if you could come up with a first proposal!

> > So dh-make-perl is a bit "under construction" at the moment :)
[..]
> I'm a little
> disappointed in the lack of tools used inside debian that are ported
> to CPAN.
> Now I know this is a lot of extra work, moving internal debian tools
> like dh-make-perl to CPAN, but I think it would be hugely useful.

Interesting idea.

> Can we move some of the dh-make-perl stuff to CPAN? I am willing to
> do the work, or at least some of it.

dh-make-perl is just _one_ perl script (plus the d/rules template(s)).
But it could use some rewriting anyway :)

> > My draft:
> > http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/howto/adopt.html
> Excellent. :)

Thanks

> > > * We have many old minor bugs open, we need somebody to triage them.
> > Yes.
> I have been thinking about writing some documentation regarding
> this,

That would be great!

> Would you guys be willing to have me "interview" you
> via email regarding the triage process

Sure.

> so I can create
> a more "entry-level" document for those of us who do not have your
> gifts?

I think that would be really helpful for people who want to
contribute by going over the bug lists.

> > And upgrade 3 dozens of packages ...
> heh. Life is good when you are a DD ... :)

You don't need to be a DD in order to do svn-upgrade's :)

 : :' :  debian gnu/linux user, admin & developer - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Metloaf: I Would Do Anything For Love