Re: Debian Perl Group meeting at DebCamp - 2008-08-06

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 09:03:27 +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:

> > > And the meeting has happened!
> https://gallery.debconf.org/v/debconf8/gwolf/080820081028.jpg.html

Nice picture, but that's the openmoko-bof :)
(Although the place is the same)

> > This probably needs a bit more work by interested parties.
> > AFAIK there's an "apps" branch in the svn-repo and maybe also an
> > empty git repo somewhere on alioth but I think not more.
> I guess that's me. I did create the apps area in svn (I wouldn't call
> it a branch, as it has trunk/, branches/ and tags/ beneath it), but:

Right, I planned to put "branch" under quotation marks ...

> > > debian/rules again
> > > ------------------
> > > * For mass-updates it would be nice to have the information about
> > >   which debian/rules-template is used. Ideas:
> > >   - add a "header" to debian/rules, containing some unique identifier
> > >     e.g. the version number of dh-make-perl
> > >   - save the  md5sum of the used template somewhere
> It seems natural for this place to be debian/rules itself, but I guess
> calculating the checksum, including the checksum itself can be tricky
> :).

:)
Therefore a unique id (like dh-make-perl version or svn revision)
might be easier.

> How about ignoring the lines before and including the line
> containing the checksum? Some sed magic should be able to provide
> that. And dh-make-perl should place the checksum in the generated
> rules on create/refresh.

Yup, could work.
But then we'd need to keep the checksums somewhere (unless we only
want to know if they are current or not).

> > > debian/copyright
> > > ----------------
> > > * "The superset of the module license and the Perl license" seems
> > >   like a good default licensing for debian/*.
> > > * Create a boilerplate that refers to changelog for the contributors.
> > That needs to be created. Maybe someone who speaks en_LEGAL can
> > propose a nice wording for "Files: debian/*\nCopyright: $foo\n
> > License: $bar"?
> (without claiming anything about en_LEGAL): "The full list of
> contributors can be found in /usr/share/doc/$PKG/changelog.Debian.gz"
> This does not say anything about © holders, thugh. We keep them as it
> is now? (i.e. 'significant' contributions lead to addition to
> copyright holders, 'significant' evaluated by the individual
> contributor)

That of course works but having something like
  Copyright: the contributors, cf. changelog.Debian.gz
  License: $superset of ...
might be more convenient.

> > > * Ask contributors when joining the group to accept the "default
> > >   mechanism" and keep gpg-signed mails.
> > AFAIK there was no work on that task yet.
> I think this is because the "default mechanism" needs to be sorted out
> first :)

That too :)

> > > * Todo: Write a "How to adopt a package".
> > http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/howto/adopt.html
> Please anyone having suggestions about the text, send them.

And/or just commit them.

> Should that page be linked from, say subversion.html or policy.html?

IMO the howto directory is fine but if someone wants to add links
from somewhere else ...

> > > * We have many old minor bugs open, we need somebody to triage them.
> > Yes.
> > And upgrade 3 dozens of packages ...
> ack ack
> Ready for upload: 0
> Damn, we need more people/time, otherwiise the nice "they cope with
> hundrets of packages" propaganda in Sledge's teams survey results
> would be false :)

Ack, we are a bit falling behind our normal speed at the moment.

> > > * qareport could show a warning if debian/watch uses a non-dist URL.
> > Tincho?
> I think such a check belongs to packagecheck, now that PET is not
> group-specific.

Good point.
And fortunately it's in packagecheck since quite some time :)

> What do we do with the few packages that are not on
> CPAN, although they are perl modules?

Nothing?
(Except adding a commented out /dist/ line to d/watch so that
packagecheck doesn't try to create one. But I think at the moment all
d/watch files are already up2date.)

 : :' :  debian gnu/linux user, admin & developer - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Dido: Slide