Re: Debian Perl Group meeting at DebCamp - 2008-08-06

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 18:01:21 -0300, gregor herrmann wrote:

> > When: Wednesday, 2008-08-06, 11:00 (UTC-3)
> > Where: Salón de Mar ("larger talk room", 7th floor)
> And the meeting has happened!

A short followup:

> We more or less followed
> http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianPerlGroup/OpenTasks

I've updated the page now.

> Should we package only modules or also applications?
> * Some people might be interested in packaging perl applications too.
> * The consensus was to put applications "somewhere separate".
> * Someone [tm] needs to start the initiative.

This probably needs a bit more work by interested parties.
AFAIK there's an "apps" branch in the svn-repo and maybe also an
empty git repo somewhere on alioth but I think not more.

> debian/rules again
> ------------------
> * For mass-updates it would be nice to have the information about
>   which debian/rules-template is used. Ideas:
>   - add a "header" to debian/rules, containing some unique identifier
>     e.g. the version number of dh-make-perl
>   - save the  md5sum of the used template somewhere

That needs to be done.

> * debian/rules and quilt:
>   - the debian/rules template could find out the need for including
>     quilt stuff itself (and fail if there's no build dependency on
>     quilt), so we'd have a template for quilt- and non-quilt packages
>   - some external script for check quilt/patches

I've added Frank's proposal to dh-make-perl in svn (but it's not yet
used): rules.dh7+quilt.xs+noxs

> debian/copyright
> ----------------
> * The group is no legal entity and therefore cannot be the copyright
>   holder.
> * "The superset of the module license and the Perl license" seems
>   like a good default licensing for debian/*.
> * Create a boilerplate that refers to changelog for the contributors.

That needs to be created. Maybe someone who speaks en_LEGAL can
propose a nice wording for "Files: debian/*\nCopyright: $foo\n
License: $bar"?

> * Ask contributors when joining the group to accept the "default
>   mechanism" and keep gpg-signed mails.

AFAIK there was no work on that task yet.

> * We change dh-make-perl to output the new format.

Gunnar has started to work on automatically creating a
debian/copyright file in dh-make-perl. I think it still needs a bit
more polishing; and I've included the copyright-creation in the
--refresh option, together with backup files.
So dh-make-perl is a bit "under construction" at the moment :)

> Debian Policy 3.8.0
> -------------------
> * Publish a template for README.source and add it to all packages
>   that use quilt and don't have one.

I've integrated a check into `packagecheck' and added the missing
README.source files.

> * Apache 2.0 license in /usr/share/common-licenses

IIRC Frank has already done this.

> Adopting packages
> -----------------
..
> * Todo: Write a "How to adopt a package".

My draft:
http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/howto/adopt.html
(in svn/website)

> Bugs
> ----
> * We have many old minor bugs open, we need somebody to triage them.

Yes.

And upgrade 3 dozens of packages ...

> debian/watch
> * qareport could show a warning if debian/watch uses a non-dist URL.

Tincho?

> * Let's replace all by-author/by-module URLs.

Done.

 : :' :  debian gnu/linux user, admin & developer - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Rod Stewart: My Heart Can't Tell You No