Re: Adding Padre to Debian

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Damyan Ivanov <dam@modsoftsys.com> wrote:

> Since we're in freeze, preparing for the next Debian stable release,
> and that upgrading to 2.8 is discouraged[1] during that time, I guess
> I can upload a 2.8-using Wx-Perl into experimentall (thus not
> interferring with the freeze) and try again.
>
>    [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/07/msg00000.html
>        search for "2.8"
>
> There would still be the problem of expressing the dependency in the
> package though. My only thougth is to add another binary package,
> libalien-wxwidgets2.8-perl, then build libwx2.8-perl (additional
> binary package to libwx-perl) using that, and then declare
> build-dependency on libwx2.8-perl in Padre. This is ugly, and the
> 2.8-flavours would conflict with the 2.6-ones as they install the same
> .pm's.
>
> I think I would rather wait for the release (planned for September)
> and then build Alien-WxWidgets and Wx using 2.8, paving the road for
> Padre.

Whichever is easier.
Padre definitely cannot be considered "stable". I call it pre-alpha.
So it should interfere with Debian stable.

If you can upload to experimental and give me feedback on other things
that might go wrong that's fine. If you prefer to wait till stable is out of the
way, that's fine with me too.
By that time I hope Padre will look much better.

regards
    Gabor