Re: Adding Padre to Debian

-=| Gabor Szabo, Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 05:57:42AM +0300 |=-
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:37 AM, Damyan Ivanov <dam@modsoftsys.com> wrote:
> >> perl -MWx -le'print Wx::wxVERSION_STRING()'
> >
> > wxWidgets 2.6.3
> >
> > not exactly "recent", yes. What is the minimal required WxWidgets
> > version?
>
> It seems it is 2.7.x or later.
>
> I don't know if I would like to require an upgrade but then looking
> at http://www.wxwidgets.org/downloads/
> it say:
>  Current Stable Release: 2.8.8
> Previous Stable Release: 2.6.4
>
> so 2.6.3 is quite old.
> Does that mean that Debian unstable - I guess that is where you are
> trying to install is
> running wxWidgets 2.6.3 ?

Yes, unstable. There's also some 2.8.x version, but that is in another
set of packages (http://packages.qa.debian.org/wxwidgets2.8). I have
them installed, but my guess is that Wx Perl module needs to be
compiled using them.

Since we're in freeze, preparing for the next Debian stable release,
and that upgrading to 2.8 is discouraged[1] during that time, I guess
I can upload a 2.8-using Wx-Perl into experimentall (thus not
interferring with the freeze) and try again.

    [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/07/msg00000.html
        search for "2.8"

There would still be the problem of expressing the dependency in the
package though. My only thougth is to add another binary package,
libalien-wxwidgets2.8-perl, then build libwx2.8-perl (additional
binary package to libwx-perl) using that, and then declare
build-dependency on libwx2.8-perl in Padre. This is ugly, and the
2.8-flavours would conflict with the 2.6-ones as they install the same
.pm's.

I think I would rather wait for the release (planned for September)
and then build Alien-WxWidgets and Wx using 2.8, paving the road for
Padre.

If anyone from the group has another ideas, I'd be glad to hear them
:)