Re: DebCamp work for pkg-perl?

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 13:53:46 -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> Factor anything that isn't package-specific or a debhelper command out
> of the rules file, and the maintenance cost of the rules files will get
> so close to zero that it's not worth worrying about. This factoring of
> the rules file down to triviallity is exactly how debhelper was
> originally "designed"; I looked at a bunch of rules files and wrote
> commands until they were just a string of dh_ commands.

So that would be a bunch of scripts that are called from
debian/rules, e.g. ph_build [0] for "perl Makefile.PL; make; make
test" etc.
Have I understood the idea correctly?

> BTW, here is a really weird thing in our current rules files that
> doesn't make any sense with debhelper:
> DESTDIR=..
>         dh_builddeb --destdir=$(DESTDIR)
> Writing debs to .. is dh_builddeb's default behavior.

I've seen this on some rare occasions but ists not in dh-make-perl
anymore.

[0] ph_ as in perlhelper :)
 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Pearl Jam: Thank You