Re: libpar-packer-perl and /usr/bin/par

Hi Niko, hi Russ, hi debian-perl, hi par@perl.org,

Niko Tyni wrote:
as seen in #450915, there's a conflict between the par and libpar-packer-perl packages for /usr/bin/par.

The par package clearly has a better claim to the name, so we should name the script in libpar-packer-perl something different. Upstream uses 'par.pl', but policy 10.4 says that we should leave the .pl out.
[...]

Russ Allbery wrote:
I'd be inclined to call it par-archive, rather than par.pl, but it probably doesn't matter a lot. The problem with par.pl is that the ".pl" really adds no information about what this par is, and par is pretty widely known as a formatting program.
[...]

There is some additional information added with the extension: There is
a binary PAR loader and a Perl script. Adding ".pl" to "par" makes it
clearer that it's the script. The binary is called "parl", however.

That being said, the naming isn't mine.

Now, renaming par.pl to something else (par-archive would be fine in
principle) is something that might break user's code. Simply renaming
the file certainly breaks even the PAR-Packer code since a copy of
par.pl is packaged into binary executables. So some patching would be necessary there.

I'm not entirely sure what the implications of a rename may be for user
code. I am sending a copy of this mail to the PAR mailing list, so it
can be discussed.

Best regards,
Steffen