Re: libpar-packer-perl and /usr/bin/par

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 11:50:18PM +0200, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> -=| Niko Tyni, Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 09:24:21PM +0200 |=-
> > I have prepared libpar-packer-perl/0.976-5 in the pkg-perl SVN repository,
> > with the script renamed to 'par.pl' for now, to solve #450915 in the
> > least invasive way. Would some DD please consider uploading this? It's
> > much better than the current situation in any case.
>
> Thank you very much, Niko. Package uploaded.
> par.pl may look bad policy-wise, but this policy is not that relevant to
> upstream and if they prefer the executable to be called that way...
>
> I guess we can add a lintian override for this case. Being consistent
> with upstream when possible is important too.

Urgs, no, IMHO being consistent with such stupid extensions is not important
at all.

Anyway, in this case it is the easiest method to avoid the conflict, so
I agree that this is the way to go. But - just for the record ;) - I
strongly disagree with your reasoning.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>