Re: RFC libapp-control-perl

[Bringing back on-list as I'd like more opinions]

-=| David Bremner, Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 02:08:18PM +0100 |=-

>     Damyan> Sorry for giving all this in a
>     Damyan> "teaspoonfull-a-day" fashion. Thing is, when I review a
>     Damyan> package I often note different things. I know this is not
>     Damyan> perfect and could be rather irritating :/
>
> Hah, no irritation here. That is what version control is for. Anyway,
> in revenge, I switched to the new copyright format, so now you
> probably have new suggestions :-).

Since I am quite new to new format, and since this is a NEW package, I'd
like to ask the other members whether the "AUTHOR" section is still
necessary.

It is missing in the proposal[1], presumably replaced by the Copyright
fields. We already have one package in the new format in the archive,
libdbix-searchbuilder-perl, but:

a) it didn't go through NEW
b) it includes an Upstream authors section

    [1] http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat

I tend to prefer to keep that section as it is used not only for
©-holders but also to mention the persons that actually wrote/contribute
the software. The proposal allows for arbitrary free text to be present
in the file.

>     Damyan> 1) Please note the date of initial packaging in the second
>     Damyan> sentence. Yes, this can be retreived from
>     Damyan> debian/changelog, but the purpose of debian/copyright is
>     Damyan> to gather all this information in one single place.
>
> With the new format, is "originally packaged on <date> using
> dh-make-perl" still required/useful?

I guess not, as there's explicit statement about debian/* copyright.