Re: RFC libapp-control-perl

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:43:03 +0100, David Bremner wrote:

> I have injected my first module into the pkg-perl repository.
> I'm sure there are things that could be improved.

Hi, welcome and thanks.

I took a short look at libapp-control-perl:

debian/watch:
* version could be 3
* URL could be
  http://search.cpan.org/dist/App-Control/ .*/App-Control-([[:digit:]].*)\.tar\.gz
  (the dist-based URLs are faster because they download less stuff)

debian/control
* there's a trailing comma in the Depends line (doesn't hurt
  probably)

debian/copyright:
* you could list the copyright for the packaging itself (cf.
  current dh-make-perl)
* upstream URL is missing (yes, that's a little redundant but the
  ftp-masters will reject the package if there is no download
  location in debian/copyright)

debian/changelog
* "ITP" is not necessary (and/or could be put outside of the (closes:
  ..) parantheses)

debian/rules:
* OPTIMIZE is unnecessary (there's nothing compiled AFAICS)
* dh_clean should be before make distclean (should be done by
  current dh-make-perl)
* target dependencies:
  now:
    install: build install-stamp
    install-stamp:
  more correct:
    install: install-stamp
    install-stamp: build-stamp
  (otherwise install-stamp could be called without build-stamp, thus
  meddling with parallel builds; this should be fixed in current
  dh-make-perl too)
* dh_link is not used, dh-strip is not needed for arch:all packages
* commented out dh_* calls can be remeoved

Looks like a long list, but most points are just small issues, and
your package is IMO almost ready for the archive.

 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    BOFH excuse #307:  emissions from GSM-phones