Re: Depending only on perl-base instead of perl

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 12:28:58AM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
>What do you all think about suggesting that packages which only need
>perl-base to function depending only on perl-base, not perl?

See my comments in <[🔎] 20050829230504.GC13085@londo.c47.org>[0].

Perl was never intended by upstream to be diced up like we've done in
Debian.  Each major upstream release requires tinkering to get perl-base
working again due to new inter-module dependencies, and implicit module

perl-base is a hack which is intended to solve a specific, *small*
problem set, not a general purpose package.

I believe that policy should remain exactly as-is:  unless you've a
darned good reason[1] to depend on perl-base rather than perl, don't.

Requirements such as you state may certainly be handled on a
case-by-case basis, but I disagree with making a general recommendation
to depend on perl-base rather than perl where possible.

--bod

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2005/08/msg00027.html
[1] "Installing perl when I don't use it takes up valuable disk space
     that I need for pr0n" is not a good reason.