Re: does defoma have to depend on perl instead of perl-base?

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 04:18:53PM +0200, Miernik wrote:
>Does the defoma package has to depend on perl package, wouldn't it be
>enough for it to depend on perl-base?
>
>The reason I ask is that depending on package "perl-base" costs 2 MB,
>while depending on "perl" costs 24 MB.
>
>If it has to depend on "perl", may I know what exactly causes that (what
>module etc)?
>
>And I ask the same question about dictionaries-common - what requires it
>to depend on "perl" instead of much smaller "perl-base" and is that
>intentional?

See section 2.2 of Perl Policy:

  Note that the `perl-base' package is intended only to provide for
  exceptional circumstances and the contents may change.  In general
  only packages which form part of the base system should declare a
  dependency on `perl-base' rather than `perl'."

Note *exceptional circumstances* in this text:  it is not intended for
general use.

--bod