Re: does defoma have to depend on perl instead of perl-base?

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 04:18:53PM +0200, Miernik wrote:
> >Does the defoma package has to depend on perl package, wouldn't it be
> >enough for it to depend on perl-base?
> >
> >And I ask the same question about dictionaries-common - what
> >requires it to depend on "perl" instead of much smaller "perl-base"
> >and is that intentional?
>
> See section 2.2 of Perl Policy:
>
>   Note that the `perl-base' package is intended only to provide for
>   exceptional circumstances and the contents may change.  In general
>   only packages which form part of the base system should declare a
>   dependency on `perl-base' rather than `perl'."
>
> Note *exceptional circumstances* in this text: it is not intended
> for general use.

Currently, yes... but as many of us are doing deployments of Debian on
thin devices, it would be nice to avoid a dependency on perl and
perl-modules when it isn't actually required.[1]

Some modules don't require anything else but /usr/bin/perl, Carp,
XSLoader, and Exporter... I can't forsee a version of perl-base that
ever failed to include these modules (and actually included anything
else.)

[Of course, in the end, I and others can keep doing what we're doing
and packaging separate versions of these packages for the thin devices
that we deploy... it's just suboptimal.]

Don Armstrong

1: Especially in light of the current upstream practice of sticking
almost every module known to mankind in the base distribution.
--
This can't be happening to me. I've got tenure.
 -- James Hynes _Publish and Perish_