Re: Pile of Perl package to give away

Hi Gunnar, Hi List,

Am Dienstag, den 04.10.2005, 12:31 -0500 schrieb Gunnar Wolf:
> Joachim Breitner dijo [Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 10:44:33AM +0200]:
> > We could handle more if we had better tools, for example a
> > "adopt-package" tool that just takes the package name and will download
> > the last version from the archive, change the control field, checking
> > for wnpp bugs, add a changelog, inject it into the svn etc. If someone
> > wants to do that, that would be great.
>
> Sounds nice and easy to do... Should be part of our toolkit.

Thanks. Someone up to writing it? :-)

> > Also included in our "mission" could be to throw unused perl packages
> > out of the archive. But this is dangerous, the user that has local apps
> > with that module won't like to see that he suddenly has to use CPAN
> > again.
>
> Well, for those apps, we have dh-make-perl, right?

Not sure. Is dh-make-perl intended for the end user to replace CPAN? I'd
like to see something like "apt-cpan" which will get a requested Perl
Module and all it's dependancies via CPAN, debianize them with
dh-make-perl and installs them. It might even check for upgrades. Until
we have such a thing, I think our users should not have to use CPAN, at
least for commonly used packages.

Greetings,
Joachim
--