Re: Pile of Perl package to give away

Joachim Breitner dijo [Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 10:44:33AM +0200]:
> > This and the previous announcement beg the question of what the role of
> > the Debian-perl group is supposed to be.  are we obliged to take in
> > orphaned perl packages?
>
> Well, that was the idea somehow. But we should not take more than we can
> handle. We already have a very large amount of packages, and not really
> a lot of active people (which does not include me ATM, I must admit).

You can tag me as well as inactive right now :( Although, of course,
that should not continue for long.

> We could handle more if we had better tools, for example a
> "adopt-package" tool that just takes the package name and will download
> the last version from the archive, change the control field, checking
> for wnpp bugs, add a changelog, inject it into the svn etc. If someone
> wants to do that, that would be great.

Sounds nice and easy to do... Should be part of our toolkit.

> Also included in our "mission" could be to throw unused perl packages
> out of the archive. But this is dangerous, the user that has local apps
> with that module won't like to see that he suddenly has to use CPAN
> again.

Well, for those apps, we have dh-make-perl, right?

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5623-0154
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23