how to build perl .debs from a debian source archive without threading

Hi All,

I want perl without threading. However, I want to use the
debian-customised version of perl. The obvious choice seems to be to
use the debian source archive, disable threading, build the source into
a package and then install from the newly-built packages.

The problem is that when I run apt-get -b source perl it auto-answers
perl's configure script questions, enabling threading. I've tried
unpacking the source, manually running configure and turning off
threading, and then running dpkg-buildpackage but that re-runs perl's
configure script and re-answers all the questions, thereby re-enabling
threading!

Can anyone tell me how to build perl binary debs from the debian source
package so that I can install it on my system cleanly?

Regards,

Alex.