this whole stupid thing (was Re: State of the Art wrt XML/XSL.)

Hi, I just thought I'd let the other members of this list see why
Michael Koehne is so wrong. Therefore, for your viewing enjoyment,
I present unmodified debconf running under perl 5.6, done the Debian
Way (TM).

  root@kite:~>grep daft /etc/apt/sources.list
  deb http://www.daft.com/pub/debian/experimental ./
  root@kite:~>apt-get install perl-5.6
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
    perl-5.6
  0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
  Need to get 2875kB of archives. After unpacking 10.3MB will be used.
  Get:1 http://www.daft.com ./ perl-5.6 5.6.0-0.1 [2875kB]
  Fetched 2875kB in 8m10s (5868B/s)
  Selecting previously deselected package perl-5.6.
  (Reading database ... 87313 files and directories currently installed.)
  Unpacking perl-5.6 (from .../perl-5.6_5.6.0-0.1_i386.deb) ...
  Setting up perl-5.6 (5.6.0-0.1) ...

  root@kite:~>update-alternatives --config perl

  There are 2 programs which provide `perl'.

    Selection    Command
  *+    1        /usr/bin/perl-5.005
        2        /usr/bin/perl-5.6

  Enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 2
  Using `/usr/bin/perl-5.6' to provide `perl'.
  root@kite:~>perl -v |head -2

  This is perl, v5.6.0 built for i386-linux
  root@kite:~>perl -e 'use utf8' || echo no
  root@kite:~>perl -e 'use Debian::DebConf::AutoSelect' || echo no
  root@kite:~>perl -e 'use DebianNet' || echo no
  root@kite:~>dpkg-reconfigure debconf
  Configuring Debconf
  -------------------

  Packages that use debconf for configuration share a common look and feel.
  You can select the type of user interface they use.

  The slang frontend provides a colorful, full-screen, character based
  windowing interface, while the text frontend uses a more traditional plain
  text interface. The editor frontend lets you configure things using your
  favorite text editor. The noninteractive frontend never asks you any
  questions notes. The web frontend can be accessed using your favorite
  browser.

    s. Slang  t. Text  e. Editor  d. Dialog  n. Noninteractive  w. Web

  What interface should be used for configuring packages? [t]

Well there you have it folks. Draw your own conclusions; I'm done with
this thread.

--
see shy jo