Re: State of the Art wrt XML/XSL.

It's really simple. If you want to build you own perl for use on debian,
simply make sure it has /usr/lib/perl5 in its @INC and it will then be able
to see all debianized perl modules. Feel free to install modules from CPAN
into /usr/local/lib/site_perl -- all debian perls will look there as well.

http://pandora.debian.org/~hertzog/perl-policy.txt is useful reading.

> So obviously I'm having a communications problem explaining what I see
> as an issue.  If I could download all the source for Debian Perl
> packages and >simply< reinstall them once Perl was upgraded then I
> wouldn't see that as a problem.

The point is that with Debian's perl setup, you don't have to reinstall
the same module in 2 different places if you have 2 different version of
perl on your system (unless it is a XS module).

Anyone who wrote an XS module without MakeMaker would be certificably
doing a Bad Thing, but Debian's perl policy ensures that debian-specific
perl modules can be installed by plain old Makefiles into /usr/lib/perl5
and Just Work.

--
see shy jo