Re: Perl 5.6.0 Is Here!

Chip Salzenberg, in an immanent manifestation of deity, wrote:
>What he said.  Perl's upstream maintainers have toyed with putting
>libperl.so in $(prefix)/lib, but they (we!) have learned not to try.

Okay.  I was thinking about it some and I agree that it probably won't
be profitable.  Still, I think I'll probably need to write an autocloser
for everyone who tells me that the shared library is in the wrong
location.

Note that I've encountered a problem in building the libperl.  I was
just going to have it be it's own arch ($cpu-$system-shared).  But then
I realized that this would mean that all the various arch dependent
packages will have to be recompiled for it such as DBI and PerlMagick.

So, given the following criteria:
1) A shared Perl for the regular distribution is an unacceptable hit for
   those people not using shared Perl.
2) There will have to be a shared Perl binary to run the various build
   utilities at the very least
3) Having multiple packages changed only by arch ($cpu-$system) is
   probably undesirable.

Which of the following should be done:
1) Write a script that sways Config.pm and friends out so the
   appropriate values are found by the appropriate tools.  Investigate
   if there problems with using non-shared Perl while linking as well as
   running it while Config.pm says it is shared
2) Ignore criteria #3 and just be forced to build multiple Perl versions
   of packages.

Either is doable.  #2 was the original plan but that might not be
acceptable.  Looking for opinions.

Darren
--
<torin@daft.com> <http://www.daft.com/~torin> <torin@debian.org> <torin@io.com>