Re: Perl 5.6.0 Is Here!

According to Joey Hess:
> Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> > Since we're just a few people and Debian users are a multitude, I
> > think we should build them both.
>
> Hm, the perl-thread package in debian is clearly marked as experimental,
> and nothing at all depends on it. All users of the package would thus be local
> users. Since installing the perl 5.6.0 packages would not cause that package
> to be removed or stop working anyway, I don't think local scripts that use the
> old thread model will be broken either. So I don't see a great need to include
> both.

Well, that's all true ... but arguing for the loyal opposition, I
suggest that even users of benighted misfeatures like "5.005 threads"
may want to upgrade to 5.6.0 for the sake of other features like
better UTF8 support.

> I thought last time this came up there was a decision to make a libperl,
> just not link /usr/bin/perl itself to it. So there would be some
> duplication, but less than there is now, and this would be a bit smaller.

That would be best handled with a separate perl-5.6.0-libperl package,
I think.
--
Chip Salzenberg              - a.k.a. -              <chip@valinux.com>