Re: Perl 5.6.0 Is Here!

Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> Since we're just a few people and Debian users are a multitude, I
> think we should build them both.

Hm, the perl-thread package in debian is clearly marked as experimental,
and nothing at all depends on it. All users of the package would thus be local
users. Since installing the perl 5.6.0 packages would not cause that package
to be removed or stop working anyway, I don't think local scripts that use the
old thread model will be broken either. So I don't see a great need to include
both.

> Q: How about a shared libperl?  Cons: It would require the libperl.so
> to be on the boot floppy, and it would impose a performance penalty
> of, what, 10% or so?  Pros: It would allow mod_perl, vim, and other
> tools that use Perl to use libperl.so, cutting total disk usage.

I thought last time this came up there was a decision to make a libperl,
just not link /usr/bin/perl itself to it. So there would be some
duplication, but less than there is now, and this would be a bit smaller.

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1274960 Mar 26 09:08 /usr/bin/vim*

I don't care if perl is 10% slower whewn I run it inside vim. I _do_ care
if my cgi script on my production webserver slows down by 10%.

--
see shy jo